These photos shows folding machines, furniture and vehicles purchased by KOVAR to provide a better environment and increased productivity and functionality of employees with intellectual disabilities.
Grant requests for financial assistance from qualifying organizations are reviewed by the KOVAR Board at its bimonthly meeting held on the second Saturday of February, April, June, August, October, and December. To be eligible for review a grant request must be received by the first of the month preceding a Board meeting. (Grants to be reviewed at the February meeting must be received by KOVAR prior to the first of January, etc.) Please do not send signature required or certified, this delays action on the grant.
Maximum grant request is $20,000 and no more than 1 grant in an 15-month period.
KOVAR Grant Application is available by clicking on one of the following links. To view or print the PDF version you will need to have Adobe Acrobat installed on your computer.
Please review the guidelines below in completing a request.
You have the option of submitting your application either electronically or by sending hard copies in accordance with the instructions below.
If you submit your application electronically and need to send additional information subsequent to clicking on the ‘Submit’ button,
please send the information to firstname.lastname@example.org
To view or print the PDF version you will need to have Adobe Acrobat installed on your computer.
The KOVAR Board meets the second Saturday of February, April, June, August, October, and December to consider grant applications. To ensure that a grant request will be considered at a KOVAR Board meeting a properly completed grant package must be received by the Vice President of Grants according to the table below. KOVAR will fund only request for goods and services designed to improve the quality of life of citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia with intellectual disabilities. Following receipt of a grant, KOVAR requires recipients to submit receipts or documentation that goods or services funded by the grant were received or provided.
|Grant received by||Will be reviewed at board meeting in|
|January 1||February meeting|
|March 1||April Meeting|
|May 1||June Meeting|
|July 1||August meeting|
|September 1||October Meeting|
|November 1||December Meeting|
Maximum grant request is $20,000 and organizations are allowed 1 approved grant every 15 months.
Grant Package Requirements
1. Completed KOVAR Grant Summary Sheet (see Word and PDF links above for Grant Application).
2. Detailed description of request, including:
- Description of the existing need this grant will address. How will the goods and/or services requested assist persons with Intellectual Disabilities served by the organization?
- Discuss the impact on the program/service if the grant is denied or only funded in part. Prioritize goods/services requested in the event KOVAR can approve only a portion of the request.
- Identify other sources of funding/income sought prior to requesting funds from KOVAR.
3. Background data on requesting organization, including:
- Purpose of organization or agency
- Number and brief description of population demographics
- Percentage of clients with diagnosis of Intellectual Disabilities
- Primary source of organization funding (public, private). Attach a copy of the organization’s budget and/or project budget. If the grant requested is for less than 100% of the project cost, include a brief description of fund raising efforts and timetable for completion.
4. Documentation of Tax Exempt Status
- If the requesting organization is affiliated with a school system, a statement of support from the Director of Special Education Services (or similar title), but at the highest level in the system, is required.
- Either provide your Federal Tax ID number or a statement confirming your affiliation with a church or governmental unit, or other tax exempt organization.
5. Market Research
- Attach three bids/price quotes for each item requested. These quotes should be the actual quote from the vendor or a copy of a page from the Internet. If a single source bid is provided a statement must be included justifying the single source purchase. If the item requested is of a higher quality/cost than normal, a statement justifying the reasoning must be included.
- KOVAR will provide 20% of the funding for a transportation grant sought in conjunction with a Virginia DRPT grant for the other 80%. The following link can used to find the requirements for a DRPT grant.
FORWARD GRANT REQUEST AS FOLLOWS
Original + 15 copies to:
Lanny White, PGK
Vice President Grants
4748 Michaux Drive
Virginia Beach VA 23464
One copy of Grant Summary Only:
Dan Hurley , PGK
1502 Edenburry Drive
Richmond VA 23238
NOTE: DO NOT MAIL OR SHIP GRANT PACKAGE WITH A RECIPIENT SIGNATURE REQUIREMENT. THIS MAY DELAY RECEIPT.
FOR INFORMATION ON KOVAR GRANTS CALL
A KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS CHARITY